Detailed position: U-PSUD Professor
Laboratoire Écologie, Systématique, Évolution
Bât. 362, rue du Doyen André Guinier
91405 Orsay Cedex
Tel: +33 (0)1 69 15 72 22
Fax: +33 (0)1 69 15 73 53
Email: paul.leadley (at) u-psud.fr
My research focuses on
1) the impacts of global change, especially climate change and rising CO2 on ecosystem functioning and plant diversity in terrestrial ecosystems,
2) the interactions between biodiversity and ecosystem functioning and
3) modeling nutrient competition between plants as well as rhizosphere interactions between plants and soil micro-organisms. This research is based primarily on field experiments and mathematical models.
I have worked with a variety of models ranging from very fine scale models of nutrient fluxes in soils to large regional scale models of climate change impacts on arctic tundra and forests. I currently lead or participate in several research projects using multi-model comparisons and model-data comparisons to quantify uncertainty in projections of global change impacts on terrestrial ecosystems. In one of these projects we are using models to explore the impacts of climate change on forests, and are collaborating with foresters to develop adaptive management strategies.
Research on grasslands has dominated my experimental research over the last 20 years. Most recently our team has been investigating the combined effects of fire and elevated levels of temperature, CO2, N deposition and precipitation on nitrogen cycling in California grasslands in collaboration with l’INRA Lyon, Northern Arizona University and Stanford University. We have also been collaborating with INRA in Clermont-Ferrand on experimental studies of interacting global change impacts on temperate grasslands.
Research co-ordination and assessment activities
At the international level, I have been heavily involved in international science programs for over 20 years including in the GCTE (Global Change and Terrestrial Ecosystems) program, the Global Land Project and DIVERSITAS (the international biodiversity science program). I am currently the chair of the bioDISCOVERY core project of DIVERSITAS that focuses on improving the science of biodiversity assessments, monitoring and scenarios. I have recently become involved in science-policy communication through activities in international assessment processes. I led the biodiversity scenarios review for the Convention on Biological Diversity’s Global Biodiversity Outlook 3 which came out in May 2010, participated in key meetings supporting the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Panel on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) processes and am a lead author as part of the IPCC’s 5th Assessment report.
A the national level, I am currently a member of the scientific steering committees of the Foundation for Biodiversity Research (FRB, the inter-institutional body for biodiversity research in France), the national environmental alliance (AllEnvi) and a regional program for interdisciplinary research on climate change (GIS “Climat, Environnement, Société). I also chair the FRB’s flagship program on biodiversity scenarios and modeling.
- I teach the equivalent of ca. three 3 credit courses per year (196 hours/year of teaching in the French system). Primary subjects: human impacts on biogeochemical cycles, biodiversity and ecosystem functioning and geomatics for ecologists (4th & 5th year courses for Masters students) and community ecology (3rd year courses)
- Coordinate the course “Ecologie Fonctionnelle” of the Master “Ecologie, Biodiversité et Evolution” (EBE) since 2003
- Co-cooordinator the course “Biodiversité et Fonctionnement des Ecosystèmes” of the Master EBE since 2003
- Co-coordinator of the du Master “Ecologie, Biodiversité et Evolution” (P11, P6, INA-PG, MNHN), 2003-2006
- Director of the DESS (Masters program) “Génie Ecologique”, Université Paris-Sud 11, 1998-2000
- Direction of theses for which I had at least 50% responsibility: Reto Stocker 2/1993-10/1996 (Ch Korner was director), Alexandra Gastine 10/1997-12/2002, Romain Barnard 10/2000-11/2003, Xavier Raynaud 10/2001-12/2004, Audrey Niboyet 10/2005 – 12/2009, Sandrine Fontaine (IE CNRS) 10/2005-present.
- Member of HDR and thesis juries: typically 6-10 per year.
- Thesis direction committees: currently member of 3 committees
Scientific, Administrative, and Teaching Activites
- Chair the bioDISCOVERY core project of DIVERSITAS (an international program of biodiversity science), 2006-present. Co-author of science plan
- Member of the Scientific Steering Committee of the “Global Land Project” (GLP). The GLP is a project of the l’IGBP et l’IHDP, focusing on human-environment interactions in terrestrial ecosystems. 2005-2007. Co-author of science plan.
- Liaison between DIVERSITAS and the GLP (and its precursor), 2002-2007.
- Member of the Scientific Steering Committee of the French Foundation for Research on Biodiversity (FRB), 2009-present. Co-author of science plan.
- President of the FRB’s flagship program on biodiversity modeling and scenarios. 2009-present
- Member of the scientific evaluation committee of the French Institute for Biodiversity (lFB) and ANR “Biodiversité”, 2006-2008
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the GICC program of the minister of environment, 2005-present
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the ” Evolution et variabilité du climat à l’échelle globale” (EVE) committee of the LEFE programme 2005-2007
- Member of the CNRS “Motive” committee of the PEVS, 1998-2002
- Member of the CNRS “Zone Ateliers” committee, 2000-2002
- President of the French Ecotrons (Montpellier and Foljuif) committee, 2010-
- Member of the Organizing committee of the Journées d’Ecologie Fonctionnelle (JEF) 2004-2008
- President of the AERES evaluation committee for the EEF Laboratory, Nancy, 2/2008.
- Member of CNRS evaluation committee for the CEFE Laboratory, Montpellier 12/2005
- Director of the “Ecologie, Systématique et Evolution” Laboratory (ca. 70 permanent staff + ca. 50 postdocs and thesis students), 2006-present
- Director (elected) of the Population and Community Ecology group (ca. 30 researchers, engineers, technicians and graduate students) in the ESE laboratory 2000-2005.
- Member of the Orientation Committee of the GIS “Climat, Environnement et Société”, 2008-present.
- Member of the steering committee of the federation IDEV “Institute de Diversité et Evolution du Vivant” (ESE, LEGS et Moulon Laboratories at Orsay and Gif-sur-Yvette), 2009-present.
- Member of the steering committee of the l’IFR 87 “La Plante et son Environnement”, 2006-present.
- Member of the “Commission de Spécialistes 66-67”, Université Paris-Sud 11, 1998-2003 & 2007-2009.
- President of the Scientific Council of the university botanical garden “Jardin Botanique de Launay” (Université Paris-Sud 11), 2003-present
- Coordinating PI – HumboldtCES “Human Impacts on Biodiversity, Ocean Environment and Climate in the Anthropocene : Linking environmental and biodiversity research” GIS “Climat, Environment et Society”. 2010-2012. 450 k€
- Co-PI (Coordinating PI – L Doyen, CNRS, Paris) – MOBILIS “Modeling for scenarios and sustainable management of terrestrial biodiversity and farming”. FRB Biodiversity Scenarios Program. 2011-2012. Budget under negotiation.
- Participant (Coordinating PI- J Scharlemann, UNEP/WCMC, UK) – EU COST project HARMBIO “Harmonizing Global Biodiversity Modelling”. 2011-2014. Budget under negotiation
- Participant (Coordinating PI – P Choler, CNRS, Grenoble) – DIVGRASS “Plant Functional DIVersity of GRASSlands”. FRB CESAB program. 2011-2013. Budget under negotiation
- Participant (Coordinating PI – X Raynaud, UPMC, Paris) – NITRICOMP “Conséquences de la compétition pour le nitrite sur le cycle de l’azote dans le sol” INSU, EC2CO program. 2009-2011. 25 k€.
- PI – UNESCO grant for workshops on “Novel modeling approaches for simulating the impact of global change on terrestrial biodiversity and ecosystem services”. 2010. 10 k$
- Coordinating PI – “Biodiversity Scenarios for the 21st century: Contribution to the Global Biodiversity Outlook 3” for the Convention on Biological Diversity. 2009-2010. 67 k€
- Co-PI (Co-ordinating PI – I Chuine, CNRS Montpellier) – SCION “Scenarios of global change impacts on biodiversity based on innovative modelling approaches”. Funding from the IFB and French National Agency for Research (ANR). 2010-2012. 470 000 k€
- Coordinating PI – QDiv “Quantifying the effects of global environmental change on terrestrial plant diversity”. Funding from the IFB and French National Agency for Research (ANR). 2005-09. 770 k€
- Participant (Coordinating PI – JF Soussana, INRA Clermont-Ferrand) – DISCOVER, IFB/ANR Biodiversité, 2006-2008.
- Co-PI (Coordinator – L Barthes, Université Paris-Sud 11) – Scientific exchange program with Stanford University and Northern Arizona University. CNRS/NSF, 32 k€, 2006-2008.
- Participant (Coordinating PI – JF Soussana, INRA Clermont-Ferrand) – IMAGINE (Funded by the program GICC-IFB ‘Biodiversité et changement global’). 2003-2006
Employment and Education
|1997-pres.||Professor, Université Paris-Sud 11, Orsay, France|
|1993-1997||Post-doctoral researcher, University of Basel, Switzerland|
|1990-1993||PhD thesis in Ecology, San Diego State University and UC Davis, USA.|
|1986-1989||Research technician, San Diego State University, USA|
|1986-1989||Research technician, Smithsonian Env. Research Center, Maryland, USA|
|1985-1986||Research technician, New Mexico State University, New Mexico, USA|
|1982-1985||M.S. in Botany, North Carolina State University, USA|
|1981-1982||Crops manager, WC Guthrie & sons farms, Pavilion, NY, USA|
|1977-1981||B.S. in Science, Pennsylvania State University, USA|
journal articles + other significant publications such as books in italics
51 publications indexed on ISI “Web of Knowledge”, >2200 citations, citations/paper = 45, h=25
Cheaib A, Badeau V, Boe J, Chuine I, Delire C, Dufrêne E, Francois C, Gritti E, Legay M, Page? C, Thuiller W, Viovy N, Leadley P. 2012. Climate change impacts on tree ranges: model inter-comparison facilitates understanding and quantification of uncertainty. Ecology Letters. 15:533-544.
Bellard C, Bertelsmeier C, Leadley P, Thuiller W, Courchamp F. 2012. Impacts of climate change on the future of biodiversity. Ecology Letters,. 15:365-377.
Blouin M, Mathieub J, Leadley PW. 2012. Plant homeostasis, growth and development in natural and artificial soils. Ecological Complexity. 9:10-15.
Niboyet A, Brown JR, Dijkstra P, Blankinship JC, Leadley PW, Le Roux X, Barthes L, Barnard RL, Field CB, Hungate BA. 2011. Global change could amplify fire effects on soil greenhouse gas emissions. PLoS One. 6: article e20105
Niboyet A, Le Roux X, Dijkstra P, Hungate BA, Barthes L, Blankinship JC, Brown JR, Field CB, Leadley PW. 2011. Testing interactive effects of global environmental changes on soil nitrogen cycling. Ecosphere. 2: article 56
Kattge J, Díaz S, Lavorel S, Prentice IC, Leadley P, Bönisch G, Garnier E, Westoby M, Reich PB, Wright IJ, … Wirth C (73 authors). 2011. TRY – a global database of plant traits. Global Change Biology. 17:2905-2935
Pereira H, Leadley PW et al. 2010. Scenarios for global biodiversity in the 21st century. Science. 330:1496-1501 (Science Express, 26 October 2010, co-first author)
Leadley PW et al. 2010. Biodiversity Scenarios: Projections of 21st century change in biodiversity and associated ecosystem services. TS-50. Sec. of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal. www.cbd.int/doc/publications/cbd-ts…
Bloor JMG, Pichon P, Falcimagne R, Leadley P, Soussana J-F. 2010. Effects of warming, summer drought, and CO2 enrichment on aboveground biomass production, flowering phenology, and community structure in an upland grassland ecosystem. Ecosystems. 13:888-900.
Niboyet A, Barthes L, Hungate BA, Le Roux X, Bloor JMG, Ambroise A, Fontaine S, Price P, Leadley PW. 2010. Responses of soil nitrogen cycling to the interactive effects of elevated CO2 and inorganic N supply. Plant & Soil. 327:35-47.
Bloor JMG, Niboyet A, Leadley, PW, Barthes L. 2009. CO2 and inorganic N supply modify competition for N between co-occurring grass plants, tree seedlings and soil microorganisms. Soil Biol. & Biochem. 41: 544-552.
Bekunda M, Palm PA, de Fraiture C, Leadley P, Maene L, Martinelli LA, McNeely J, Otto J, Ravindranath, NH, Reynaldo L.Victoria RL, Watson H, Woods J. 2009 Biofuels in Developing Countries. In: Howarth and S. Bringezu (eds.), Biofuels: Environmental Consequences and Interactions with Changing Land Use. Proceedings of the Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) International Biofuels Project Rapid Assessment
Ojima D, Field C, Leadley P, Sala O, Messeme D, Petersenf JE, Borng J, Vanweyh L, Mba Wright M. 2009. Mitigation Strategies: Biofuel Development Considerations to Minimize Impacts on the Socio-Environmental System. In: Howarth and S. Bringezu (eds.), Biofuels: Environmental Consequences and Interactions with Changing Land Use. Proceedings of the Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) International Biofuels Project Rapid Assessment.
Bloor, JMG, Barthes L, Leadley PW. 2008. Effects of elevated CO2 and N on tree-grass interactions: an experimental test using Fraxinus excelsior and Dactylis glomerata. Functional Ecol. 22:537-546.
Bloor JMG, Leadley PW, Barthes L. 2008. Responses of Fraxinus excelsior seedlings to grass-induced above- and below-ground competition. Plant Ecology 194:293-304.
Raynaud X, Jaillard B, Leadley PW. 2008. Plants may alter competition by modifying nutrient bioavailability in the rhizosphere: a modeling approach. American Naturalist. 171:44-58.
Hector A, Joshi J…Leadley PW…Troumbis AY. 2007. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: reconciling the results of experimental and observational studies. Functional Ecology. 21:998–1002.
Potvin C, Chapin III FS, Gonzalez A, Leadley PW, P Reich, Roy J. 2007. Plant biodiversity and responses to elevated carbon dioxide. In: Canadell J, Pataki D, Pitelka L (eds) Global change and terrestrial ecosystems. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany.
Barnard R, Le Roux X, Hungate B, Cleland E, Blankinship, Barthes L, Leadley PW. 2006. Several components of global change alter nitrifying and denitrifying activities in an annual grassland. Functional Ecology. 20:557-564.
Barnard R, Barthes L, Leadley PW. 2006. Short-term uptake of 15N by a grass and soil micro-organisms after long-term exposure to elevated CO2. Plant and Soil. 280:91–99
Raynaud X, Lata JC, Leadley PW. 2006. Soil microbial loop and nutrient uptake by plants: a test using a coupled C : N model of plant-microbial interactions. Plant and Soil. 287:95-116.
Loranger-Merciris G, Barthes L, Gastine A, Leadley P. 2006. Rapid effects of plant species diversity and identity on soil microbial communities in experimental grassland ecosystems. Soil Biol. Biochem. 38:2336-2343.
Barnard R, Leadley PW, Hungate BA. 2005. Global change, nitrification and denitrification: a review. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 19:GB1007.
Barnard R, Leadley PW, Lensi R, Barthes L. 2005. Plant, soil microbial and soil inorganic nitrogen responses to elevated CO2: a study in microcosms of Holcus lanatus. Acta Oecologica.
Raynaud X, Leadley PW. 2005. Symmetry of belowground competition in a spatially explicit model of nutrient competition. Ecol. Model. 189:447-453.
Spehn EM … Leadley PW … Lawton JH (39 authors). 2005. Ecosystem effects of biodiversity manipulations in European grasslands. Ecological Monographs. 75:37–63
Barnard R, Barthes L, Le Roux X, Leadley PW. 2004. Dynamics of nitrifying activities, denitrifying activities and nitrogen in the plant-soil system grassland mesocosms as altered by elevated CO2. New Phytologist. 162:365-376
Barnard R, Barthes L, Le Roux X, Harmens H, Raschi A, Soussana J.-F, Winkler B, Leadley PW. 2004. Atmospheric CO2 elevation has little effect on nitrification and denitrification enzyme activity in European grasslands. Global Change Biology. 10:1-10
Raynaud X, Leadley PW. 2004. Soil characteristics play a key role in modeling nutrient competition in plant communities. Ecology. 85:2200-2214.
Mouquet N, Leadley P, Meriguet J, Loreau M. 2004. Immigration and local competition in herbaceous plant communities: a three-year seed-sowing experiment. Oikos 104:77-90
Gastine A, Scherer-Lorenzen M, Leadley PW. 2003. No consistent effects of plant diversity on root biomass, soil biota and soil abiotic conditions in temperate grassland communities. Applied Soil Ecology 24:101-111.
Gastine A, Roy J, Leadley PW. 2003. Plant biomass production and soil nitrogen in mixtures and monocultures of old field Mediterranean annuals. Acta Oecologica. 24:65-75
Schmid B, Hector A, Huston M, Inchausti P, Nijs I, Leadley P, Tilman D. 2002. The design and analysis of biodiversity experiments. In: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning: Synthesis and Perspectives. pp 61-78. Loreau M, Naeem S., Inchausti P. (eds). Oxford University Press.
Price DT, Zimmermann NE, van der Meer PJ, Lexer MJ, Leadley PW, Jorritsma IT, Schaber J, Clark DF, Lasch PL, McNulty S, Wu J, Smith B. 2001. Regeneration in gap models: priority issues for studying forest responses to climate change. Climatic Change 51:475-508.
Niklaus PA, Leadley PW, Schmid B, Körner Ch. 2001. A long-term field study of biodiversity x elevated CO2 interactions in a grassland. Ecological Monographs: 71:341–356.
Niklaus PA, Kandeler E, Leadley PW, Schmid B, Tscherko D, Körner Ch. 2001. A functional link between plant diversity, elevated CO2 and soil nitrate. Oecologia, 127:540-548.
Hector A, … Leadley PW, … Lawton JH. 2000. No consistent effect of plant diversity on productivity – Response. Science, 289 : 1255a.
Hector A, … Leadley PW, … Lawton JH. 2000. Biodiversity and the functioning of grassland ecosystems: multisite studies. In: “Functional Consequences of Biodiversity: Experimental Progress and Theoretical Extensions”, A. Kinzig, D. Tilman & S. Pacala, Eds., Princeton University Press, Princeton, USA.
Niklaus PA, Stocker R, Korner C, Leadley PW. 2000. CO2 flux estimates tend to overestimate ecosystem C sequestration at elevated CO2. Functional Ecology 14:546-559.
Hector A, Schmid B, Beierkuhnlein C, Caldeira MC, Diemer M, Dimitrakopoulos PG, Finn J, Freitas H, Giller PS, Good, J, Harris R, Högberg P, Huss-Danell K, Joshi J, Jumpponen A, Körner C, Leadley PW, Loreau M, Minns A, Mulder C, O’Donovan G, Otway SJ, Pereira JS, Prinz A, Read DJ, Scherer-Lorenzen M, Schulze E-D, Siamantziouras A-S, Spehn E, Terry AC, Troumbis AY, Woodward FI, Yachi, S, Lawton JH. 1999. Plant diversity and productivity experiments in European grasslands. Science. 286: 1123-1127
Leadley PW, Niklaus P, Stocker R, Koerner Ch. 1999. A field study of the effects of elevated CO2 on plant biomass and community structure in a calcareous grassland. Oecologia. 118:39-49.
Stocker R, Schmid B, Nicklaus PA, Koerner Ch, Leadley PW. 1999. A field study of the effects of elevated CO2 and plant species diversity on ecosystem level gas exchange in a planted calcareous grassland. Global Change Biology. 5:97-108
Kempf H, Roy J, Barbault R, Leadley P, Lefeuvre JC, Loreau M. 1998. Bac to basics: The ecosystem. La Recherche 88-91.
Ledergerber S, Leadley PW, Stocklin J, Baur B. 1998. Feeding behaviour of juvenile snails (Helix pomatia) to four plant species grown at elevated atmospheric CO2. Acta Oecologica. 19:89-95.
Niklaus PA, Leadley PW, Stocklin J, Korner C. 1998. Nutrient relations in calcareous grassland under elevated CO2. Oecologia. 116:67-75.
Leadley PW, Niklaus P, Stocker R, Korner C. 1997. Screen-aided CO2 control (SACC): a middle ground between FACE and open-top chambers. Acta Oecologica. 18:207-219.
Rotzel C, Leadley PW, Korner C. 1997. Non-destructive assessment of the effects of elevated CO2 on plant community structure in a calcareous grassland. Acta Oecologica. 18:231-239.
Stocker R, Leadley PW, Korner C. 1997. Carbon and water fluxes in a calcareous grassland under elevated CO2. Functional Ecology.11:222-230.
Stocklin J, Leadley PW, Korner C. 1997. Community and species level responses to elevate CO2 in designed calcareous grassland communities. Acta Oecologica. 18:241-248.
Leadley PW, Reynolds JF, Chapin FS. 1997. A model of nitrogen uptake by Eriophorum vaginatum roots in the field: Ecological implications. Ecological Monographs. 67:1-22.
Leadley PW, Koerner Ch. 1996. Effects of elevated CO2 on plant species dominance in a highly diverse calcareous grassland. In: Carbon Dioxide, Communities, and Populations. Koerner Ch, Bazzaz FA (eds.), Physiological Ecology Series, Academic Press, San Diego, p. 159-174.
Leadley PW, Li H, Ostendorf B, Reynolds JF. 1996. Road-related disturbances in an arctic watershed: analysis by a spatially explicit model of vegetation and ecosystem processes. In: Landscape Function in an Arctic Watershed. Reynolds JF, Tenhuneen JD (eds.). Ecological Studies Series, Springer-Verlag, Berlin. p. 387-415.
Reynolds JF, Tenhunen JD, Leadley PW, Li H, Moorhead DL, Ostendorf B, Chapin FS III. 1996. Patch and landscape models of arctic tundra: potentials and limitations. In: Landscape Function in an Arctic Watershed. Reynolds JF, Tenhunen JD (eds.). Ecological Studies Series, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p. 293-324.
Leadley PW, Stocklin J. 1996. Effects of elevated CO2 on model calcareous grasslands: Community, species, and genotype level responses. Glob. Change Biol. 2:389-397.
Arnone JA, Blot M, Leadley P, Matthies D, Sanders I. 1994. Biodiversity in Switzerland (response). Nature. 370:500-500.
Leadley PW, Drake BG. 1993. Open top chambers for exposing plant canopies to elevated CO2 concentration and for measuring net gas exchange. Vegetatio.104:3-15.
Leadley PW, Reynolds JF. 1992 Long-term response of an arctic sedge to climate change – a simulation study. Ecological Applications. 2:323-340.
Drake BG, Leadley PW. 1991. Canopy photosynthesis of crops and native plant communities exposed to long-term elevated CO2. Plant Cell and Environment. 14:853-860.
Leadley PW, Reynolds JF, Flagler R, Heagle AS. 1990. Radiation utilization efficiency and the growth of soybeans exposed to ozone – a comparative analysis. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 51:293-308.
Curtis PS, Drake BG, Leadley PW, Arp WJ, Whigham DF. 1989. Growth and senescence in plant communities exposed to elevated CO2 concentrations on an estuarine marsh. Oecologia. 78:20-26.
Drake BG, Leadley PW, Arp WJ, Nassiry D, Curtis PS. 1989. An open top chamber for field studies of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration on saltmarsh vegetation. Functional Ecology. 3:363-371.
Leadley PW, Reynolds JF. 1989. Effect of carbon-dioxide enrichment on development of the 1st six mainstem leaves in soybean. American Journal of Botany. 76:1551-1555.
Leadley PW, Reynolds JF. 1988. Effects of elevated carbon-dioxide on estimation of leaf area and leaf dry weight of soybean. American Journal of Botany. 75:1771-1774.
Leadley PW, Reynolds JA, Thomas JF, Reynolds JF. 1987. Effects of CO2 enrichment on internal leaf surface area in soybeans. Botanical Gazette. 148:137-140.
March 2012 Planet Under Pressure, London, GB
- Session “Staying away from the edge: avoiding biophysical, ecological and social tipping points” Session co-organized by P. Leadley, with T. Lenton (Climate), & P. Olsson (Society) – GBO3 tipping points – presented by P. Leadley
- Session “Biodiversity and ecosystem services science for a sustainable planet: Scientific priorities for the decade 2012-20 from the DIVERSITAS community” – biodiversity scenarios – presented by P. Leadley
- Session “Putting the concept of ecosystem services into practice: science, assessment and policy” – New approaches to the development of socio-economic scenarios for global change assessments – presented by P. Leadley.
March 2012 – “Tipping Points” workshop in Berlin, Germany. March (joint organization by DIVERSITAS and NEFO Germany). Keynote introductory talk
November 2011 – Presentation of climate change impacts on forests at the RMT AFORCE meeting. This conference attracted more than 100 forest researchers, managers and government representatives and more than 20 journalists (journal article in Liberation)
March 2011 – Testimony for the French “Conseil Economique, Social et Environmental” concerning national implications of the “Aichi Targets” agreed to at the CBD COP-10 in Nagoya, Japan.
March 2011 – “Changement global, biodiversité et services écosystémiques : Sciences, prévision, prospective”. Colloque Le Savant, Le Politique et le Citoyen. Cité des Sciences et de la Technologie. Paris, France.
February 2011 – “Résumé des résultats de la 10ème réunion de la Conférence des Parties de la Convention sur la Biodiversité à Nagoya, Japon”. Académie des Sciences. Paris, France.
December 2010 – “Impacts du changement climatique sur les forêts : quelles strate?gies d’adaptation ?”. Annual meeting of the GIS “Climat, Environnement, Société”. Paris, France.
November 2010 – “Scénarios du devenir de la biodiversité à l’échelle mondiale”. “Les Rencontres FRB”. Paris, France.
October 2010 – Presentation at side event for Global Biodiversity Outlook 3 (GBO3), CBD COP-10, Nagoya, Japan.
October 2010 – Presentation (co-authored by H. Mooney) to launch the “Rio Conventions’ Ecosystems and Climate Change Pavilion” with A. Djoghlaf (Exec Sec CBD), R. Matsumoto (Japanese Minister of Environment) & I. Noble (World Bank). CBD COP-10, Nagoya, Japan.
September 2010 – “Projections des impacts du changement climatique sur les forêts : quelles strate?gies d’adaptation face a? des incertitudes conside?rables ?”. “Adaptation au Changement Climatique : Forêts, Espaces Naturels et Biodiversité.” Co-organized by the GIS “Climat, Environnement, Société”. Paris, France.
Septembre 2010 – Talk synthesizing of two days of presentations and discussions for the workshop “Forêts et enjeux d’avenir”. Sponsored by the French Senate, Université Paris-Sud, GIS “Climat, Environnement, Société”, GIP Ecofor, FRB, APT. Paris, France.
September 2010 – “Effets du changement climatique sur la biodiversite? : e?tat des lieux : Milieu terrestre”. CCBio: Connaissances des impacts du changement climatique sur la biodiversité en France” (GIP Ecofor, MEEDDM). Paris, France
September 2010 – “L’avenir de la biodiversité: le rôle des scénarios comme outil d’interface entre la science et la politique”. Ecologie 2010. Montpellier, France.
August 2010 – “Eco-evolutionary approaches to understanding and predicting the response of species range to climate change”. Overview of objectives for a workshop with the same title. Fukuoka, Japan.
May 2010 – Presentations at side events to 1) launch the Global Biodiversity Outlook 3 (GBO3) and 2) present scientific objectives of IPBES. Presentation of GBO3 at press conference with A. Steiner (Exec Dir UNEP), A. Djoghlaf & T. Lovejoy. CBD SBSTTA, Nairobi, Kenya.
March 2010 – Global Biodiversity Outlook 3: Scenarios Synthesis. Pre-COP 10 meeting of the CBD. Nagoya, Japan.
March 2010 – “Scenarios de l’impact des changements globaux sur la biodiversité”. “11eme colloque pluridisciplinaire d’Orsay, Biodiversité : de la Molécule à l’Ecosystème.” Orsay, France.
Feb 2010 – “Global Biodiversity Outlook 3 study on Biodiversity futures for the 21st century.” Trondheim Conference on Biodiversity, an encounter between CBD delegates and scientists. – co-presented with H. Pereira. Trondheim, Norway.
Feb 2010 – “Disappearing coral reefs – in light of large scale changes.” Trondheim Conference on Biodiversity. Trondheim, Norway.
Jan 2010 – “Biodiversity Scenarios for the 21st century: contribution to the Global Biodiversity Outlook 3”. Presentation to UNESCO delegates. Paris, France
Jan 2010 – “Genetic evolution and Climate Change”. UNESCO International Year of Biodiversity, Science – Policy Conference. 2010. Paris, France.
Nov 2009 – “L’impact de la biodiversité sur le climat”. “Le Colloque Orée : Biodiversité et climat avant et après Copenhague – Rencontres d’experts.” Paris, France.
Organization of symposia and workshops
March 2012 –
March 2011 – Co-organizer of an international workshop on joint workshop on “Plant Traits and Biome Boundary Shifts”. Support from DIVERSITAS, FRB and GIS “Climat”, ca. 50 participants. Paris, France
March 2011 – “Changement global, biodiversité et services écosystémiques :Sciences, prévision, prospective”. Colloque : Le Savant, Le Politique, Le Citoyen. Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie, Paris, France.
September 2010 – Co-organizer of the conference “Forêts et enjeux d’avenir”. Sponsored by the French Senate, Université Paris-Sud, GIS “Climat, Environnement, Société”, GIP Ecofor, FRB, APT. Paris, France.
August 2010 – Co-organizer of an international workshop on “Eco-evolutionary approaches to understanding and predicting the response of species and ecosystems to climate change”. Support from DIVERSITAS and the Japanese Environmental Ministry, ca. 25 participants. Kyushu, Japan
Oct 2009 – Co-organizer (and chair) of a symposium “Projecting 21st century biodiversity change”. DIVERSITAS Open Science Conference. Cape Town, South Africa
Oct 2009 – Co-organizer of an international workshop on joint workshop on “Plant Traits and Biome Boundary Shifts”. Support from DIVERSITAS, UK-QUEST, MPI-Jena, UNESCO and GIS “Climat”, ca. 35 participants. Cape Town, South Africa
Aug 2009 – Co-organizer of an international workshop on “Eco-evolutionary approaches to understanding and predicting the response of species and ecosystems to climate change”. Support from DIVERSITAS and the EU-Evoltree program, ca. 25 participants. Paris, France
March 2009 – Co-organizer of a session on “Biodiversity: Enhancement of Resilience or Facilitating Transformation?”. IARU International Scientific Congress on Climate Change. Copenhagen, Denmark.
March 2008 – Co-organizer of an international workshop on “Biome Boundary Shifts”. Support from DIVERSITAS, Japanese Ministry of the Environment, and GLP. ca. 40 participants. Yokohama, Japan
March 2008 – Co-organizer of an international workshop “IGBP – Plant Functional Traits Fast Track Initiative”. Support from IGBP, DIVERSITAS and UK-QUEST, ca. 35 participants. Paris, France
November 2006 – Organizer of a symposium entitled “Climate change and rising CO2: How serious is the future threat to biodiversity?” at the Earth System Science Partnership open science conference (ESSP). Beijing, China.
May 2005 – Organizer of an international workshop on “Global Environmental Change and Biodiversity”. Sponsored by DIVERSITAS, UK-QUEST and US-TERACC. Dourdan, France. ca. 35 participants.
November 2005 – Organizer of a symposium entitled “Global change and Biodiversity” for the open-science conference of DIVERSITAS. Oaxaca, Mexico.
- Co-organizer of the national workshop series “Journées d’Ecologie Fonctionnelle” (JEF) at Nouan-le-Fuzelier in 2006
- Co-organizer of the national workshop series “Journées d’Ecologie Fonctionnelle” (JEF) at La Londes-les-Maures in 2000